As an industry we talk a lot about the importance of responsive design. There are a lot of oft-repeated facts about the huge rise in mobile usage, alongside tales of woe about the 70,000 different Android screen resolutions. Customers often say the word ‘responsive’ to us with a terrified, hunted expression. There’s a general impression that it’s a) incredibly vital but b) incredibly hard.
As to the former, it’s certainly becoming hard to justify sites not being responsive from the very beginning. 18 months ago, we’d often find ourselves reluctantly filing ‘responsive design’ along with all the other things that get shunted into ‘phase 2′ early in the project. Nowadays, not so much: Mailchimp reported recently that 60% of mail they send is opened on a mobile phone.
For the latter, there’s this blog post. We hope it demonstrates that retro-fitting responsive design can be simple to achieve and deliver measurable results immediately.
And, because there are graphs and graphs are super boring, we’ve had our Gwilym illustrate them with farm animals and mountaineers. Shut up; they’re great.
What were the principles behind the design?
We’re not really fans of change for change’s sake, and generally, when redesigning a site, we try to stick to the principle of not changing something unless it’s solving a problem, or a clear improvement.
In this redesign project we were working under certain constraints. We weren’t going to change how the sites worked or their information architecture. We were even planning on leaving the underlying HTML alone as much as possible. We ‘just’ had to bring the customer’s three websites clearly into the same family and provide a consistent experience for mobile.
In many ways, this was a dream project. How often does anyone get to revisit old work and fix the problems that have niggled at you since the project was completed? The fact that these changes would immediately benefit the thousands of school leaders and governors who use the sites every day was just the icing on the cake.
And, to heighten the stakes a little more, one of the sites in the redesign was The Key – a site that we built 7 years ago and which has been continually developed since it first went live. Its criticality to the customer cannot be overstated and the build was based on web standards that are almost as old as it’s possible to be on the internet.
What did we actually do?
The changes we made were actually very conservative.
Firstly, text sizes were increased across the board. In the 7 years since the site was first designed, monitor sizes and screen resolutions have increased, making text appear smaller as a result. You probably needed to lean in closer to the screen than was comfortable. We wanted the site to be easy to read from a natural viewing distance.
We retained the site’s ability to adapt automatically to whatever size screen you are using, without anything being cut off. But this now includes any device, from a palm-sized smartphone, to a notebook-sized tablet, up to desktop monitors. (And if your screen is gigantic, we prevent lines from getting too long.) The reading experience should be equally comfortable on any device.
On article pages, the article text used to compete for attention with the menu along the left. While seeing the other articles in the section is often useful, we wanted them to recede to the background when you’re not looking at them.
We wanted to retain the colourfulness that was a hallmark of the previous design. This is not only to be pleasing to the eye – colours are really helpful in guiding the eye around the page, making the different sections more distinct, and helping the most important elements stand out.
Finally, we removed some clutter. These sites have been in production for many years and any CMS used in anger over that kind of period will generate some extraneous bits and bobs. Our principle here was that if you don’t notice anything missing once we’ve removed it, then we’ve removed the right things.
What was the result?
The striking thing about the changes we made was not just the extent of the effect, but also the speed with which it was demonstrable. The following metrics were all taken in the first 4 weeks of the changes being live in production in August 2014.
The most significant change is the improvement in mobile usage on The Key for School Leaders. Page views went up – fast (and have stayed there.)
Secondly, the bounce rate for mobile dropped significantly in the three months following the additions:
Most interestingly for us, this sudden bounce in mobile numbers wasn’t from a new, unheard of group of users that The Key had never heard from before. The proportion of mobile users didn’t increase significantly in the month after the site was relaunched. The bump came almost exclusively from registered users who could suddenly now use the site the way they wanted to.
A note about hardness
What we did here wasn’t actually hard or complicated – it amounted to a few weeks work for Francois. I’ve probably spent longer on this blog post, to be honest. And so our take-away point is this: Agencies you work with should be delivering this by default for new work; should be proposing simple steps you can take to add it for legacy work or explaining why they can’t or won’t.
About us: Isotoma is a bespoke software development company based in York and London specialising in web apps, mobile apps and product design. If you’d like to know more you can review our work or get in touch.